LDRS 101, the Freshman Orientation Program:
The Citadel requires that all incoming freshmen take a one-credit-hour college orientation course designed to help them make the transition from high school to college. Known officially as LDRS 101, but more informally as “Leaders 101,” this course teaches our freshmen proven techniques for successful studying and learning!
· Practical instruction on the steps to academic success.
· Information that they can understand, that they can use quickly, and that works
· Help when they discover that the strategies they used for studying in high school don't seem to work as well in college
LDRS 101 consists of four major parts:
1. Graded Course Requirements:
- Canvas Overview
- Discipline System/Punishment Schedule
- Class Absences
- Career Services
- Honor/Core Values
2. Transition Information:
- Dangers of Social Media
- Tips for Incoming Freshmen
- Learning Styles
- Coping with Stress
3. Understanding Your Academics:
- Time Management
- Reading/Marking Your Textbook
- Course Strategies
4. Academic Policies & Procedures:
- Grades & Course Credit
- GPA/Banner Transcript
- Gold Stars & Dean's List
- Mid-Term Grades
- Academic Policies
Learn about the available academic services & resources on campus.
- Learn how to use the Library, Career Services and about the Honor Court.
- Learn about available scholarships.
In short, this class helps all freshmen adjust to the academic, emotional, and personal challenges of college life at The Citadel.
First-Year Student Transitions Questionnaire Version 1
First-Year Student Transitions Questionnaire Version 2
To view additional information concerning the details of the class, please visit the following links:
Summer Reading Program: A Few Good Men by Aaron Sorkin
Attachments for Checklist:
All freshman cadets will attend two (2) fine arts performances in their freshman year.